Anyone who believes that the Health care reform bill is anything but a naked power grab should look into the following facts. Any one of them should be enough to make you feel betrayed by those you have elected.
1. This bill is cleverly misnamed: H.R. 3200: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009.
It should be titled America's Enforced Health Choices Act. Any individual who doesn’t have acceptable health care (according to the government) will be taxed 2.5% of income. It is a tax and the IRS will collect it from you.
According to Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold, those who fail to pay the fee for not buying health insurance could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty.
Where in the Constitution does it say that ordinary citizens will subject to fines and jail for not having federally approved health insurance? Your elected officials and certain union members, and illegal aliens are exempt from these requirements of course.
2. Those working to impose this bill on us have exempted themselves from being subject to this bill. Our elected officials have repeatedly refused to allow themselves to be covered by this bill and it appears that they have given unions special exemptions from the provisions of this bill.
We are being forced to accept a health care system that our "elite" leaders are avoiding. So much for equality under the law.
3. In spite of bland assurances that services will never be rationed, staffing has already begun for an unelected, largely unaccountable group of bureaucrats charged with containing Medicare costs. Obama has stated that such a group, working outside of “normal political channels,” should guide decisions regarding that “huge driver of cost … the chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives.
Most of this group is already in place as a result of the Stimulus Bill which contained funding for a $1.1 billion enterprise run by federal bureaucrats—not practicing doctors on the front line or patients and this part of the President’s plan dictates that doctors and hospitals will
be overseen and reviewed by The National Coordinator of Health
This “Coordinator”, who has already been
appointed by President Obama, will be responsible for monitoring
treatments to ensure doctors and hospitals strictly follow what the
government deems appropriate and cost effective, and to “guide medical
decisions at the time and place of care.” So much for Obama's assurance that the government will not come between you and your doctor!
HR 3200 adds another layer of bureaucrats who will allocate resources on the basis of budget needs, not patient needs. This is a great employment opportunity for those who desire absolute power over their neighbor's lives.
4. Democrats are already planning to institute $500 Billion in Medicare cuts. So much for Obama's assurances that Medicare will not be affected.
5. Our president and his supporters continue to insist that this vast bucket of unionized services and patronage handouts will not add to tax burdens or deficit spending. This is so blatantly false that it boggles the mind. The Congressional Budget Office has contradicted these claims of a "deficit neutral" program again and again.
6. Finally, our representatives in Washington are planning to ram this bill through under cover of darkness again. They have refused to allow a period of 72 hours between finishing the bill and voting on it. Remember that these representatives are not subject to this bill or the "death panels" they are forcing on an unsuspecting populace.
Some will protest that the bill does not explicitly state that the Federal Government will lower medicare coverage, deny services to the elderly and mentally incapacitated, or interfere with patient/doctor relationships. The simplest answer to such a blatant denial of reality is to look at the many clarifying amendments which were killed at the behest of Nancy Pelosi and her chairmen.
These amendments were all killed:
- Require all members of Congress to get their health insurance through the government-run plan.
- Prevent bureaucrats from making personal medical decisions for patients
- Keep the Federal Government out of health care decisions
- Require government-run plan to operate under the same standards as private health plans
- Ensure that Americans cannot be forced into a government-run health plan
- Stop seniors from being stripped of their health care choices like Medicare Advantage
- Keep the federal government from choosing "favored" physicians
- Ensure that Health Savings Accounts would not be shut down or gutted by federal mandates
- Allow Americans to continue to enroll in private individual market health plans
If you are not angered by the actions of our President and other elected officials, you are not paying attention. With very few exceptions, this country would be vastly improved by replacing all incumbents as soon as possible.
It's time to stop drinking the Socialist Kool-Aid. We are heading toward a bleak future as a second-rate nation dominated by a "entitlement" mindset. We will experience a fiscal tsunami of out-of-control spending that will wreak havoc on our economy unless we all get involved in the 2010 elections.